Completing your Invisalign treatment on time and with a healthy smile at the end of it requires a few special maintenance techniques. It may seem like a lot to take in at first, but with a little practice, we’re sure you’ll have the swing of it in no time! Keep reading to learn how to take proper care of clear aligners — and your teeth. We’re the experts on Invisalign in Farmington!
How to Clean Your Invisalign Aligners
The Invisalign trays are customized to fit very tightly around your teeth. That means that if sugars or food particles get trapped in the aligners, they can stay held up against the tooth enamel and accelerate the rate of decay. To avoid cavities and other oral health problems, cleaning your aligners properly after each meal and before you go to bed at night is crucial.
Here are some key tips for keeping your Invisalign aligners clean throughout the treatment.
- Brush the aligners with a mild hand soap each time you insert them. You do not need to brush with toothpaste — in fact, doing so could scratch the plastic.
- Brush and floss your teeth before putting your Invisalign aligners in after meals and at the beginning of the day.
- When you brush your aligners, make sure to be gentle to avoid scratching or damaging them.
- Rinse your aligners with water after you remove them to wash away saliva and bacteria.
- Always clean with lukewarm water — hot temperatures can warp the plastic and result in delayed treatment.
- Keep your aligners clean and fresh by soaking them in denture cleaner or the special Invisalign crystals.
Proper Oral Hygiene Is Key
One of the major benefits of Invisalign is that the trays are removable, which means you can continue to brush and floss your teeth with ease throughout the treatment. Traditional braces require special maneuvering techniques around fixed brackets and wires — and many patients complete their treatment with metal braces to find they have developed a cavity in the meantime. Take advantage of the ease of Invisalign and continue to maintain excellent oral hygiene to ensure that when the treatment is complete, your smile is at its most beautiful and healthiest!
We will schedule a full examination before you begin Invisalign to confirm that your gums are healthy and your teeth are cavity-free. Any issues should be treated before beginning Invisalign treatment. Continue to visit us as recommended for checkups and you will breeze through your time with clear aligners!
Meet the Dentist
Dr. James R. Cole is an experienced general dentist offering comprehensive dental services for patients in and around Farmington — including Invisalign! If you have questions about this treatment or would like to find out whether or not it is right for you, please don’t hesitate to contact the office by calling 505-327-0441.